Tuesday, May 19, 2009

RANSOM + BENADRYL= CRAZY

Reaves and Rans have been getting a lot of bug/spider bites lately. I'm not sure what kind of insect is responsible. Ransom has never shown signs of being allergic to mosquito bites in the past but this summer here in Texas the bites that he has received have gotten really big and bruised. He got a bite the other night and woke up with a big puffy right hand. I mean BIG! His knuckles were purple and there were red splotches all over. I was all worried so I called our not so local Pharmacist, Doctor Matthew Hiatt (AKA my brother in-law). I have never given my kids Benadryl before so I needed dosing instructions and advice about what the heck I was supposed to do! Instructions were to give Benadryl every 6 hours until it goes down and look for signs of infection. I followed these instructions but I was ready to stop after the second dose yesterday. Ransom was very weird and crazy insane all day. He would act very excited about everything and repeating words over and over jumping and running around (this is not like him at all). He would not sleep at all. Now my little Ransom loves to sleep. He always goes to bed before or at 8 PM. He would not go to bed last night. This is the opposite of what I expected of course. The puffy little hand did not go down until this morning. I still gave him one more dose this morning since it was still not completely normal but I don't think I will give him anymore...hopefully.

No comments: